INSPIRATION LAND — I have no clever opening or story from my embarrassing past to set up this video. All I have are boatloads of respect, admiration and complete awe for this person.
This video from Red Bull highlights skateboarder Dan Mancina from Livonia, Michigan, just outside Detroit. Mancina has skills on his board, but they become all the more impressive and inspiring when you realize he's blind.
When Mancina was young, he was diagnosed with a degenerative disease that would eventually take his sight. Mancina said as he started to lose his sight he became depressed knowing soon he wouldn't be able to see or skate, something he's passionate about. But instead of feeling sorry for himself and giving up, Mancina decided skating was still going to be a part of his life.
The video shows off Mancina's unique style and his approach to skating after he lost 95 percent of his vision and the remaining 5 percent is like looking through an old dirty glass bottle. I still can't wrap my head around this video and what Mancina is doing. I can't even stand on a skateboard without falling down and making a fool of myself, and here Mancina is aggressively taking on stunts and obstacles while placing his fear and anxiety to the side to continue doing something he loves.
This is one of my favorite videos I've ever come across, and Mancina is another person who proves not all heroes wear capes.
Watch the video, get inspired, share it and inspire others.